News Reporter (Full Time)
Occupational Code: Exempt
Reports To: News Director
Purpose/General Description of Position:
KSFR radio seeks a broadcast journalist to help our newsroom cover local news in Northern New Mexico. The part-time News Reporter will produce news for radio broadcasts, in-depth radio features, and special reports as assigned. Along with reporting, the position will also assist the news staff with our hourly, broadcasted newscasts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Selects, researches, and pitches stories to News Director. Writes, edits, produces and voices reports for air. Produces news as assigned by News Director. Reports stories in appropriate forms for broadcast. Will be asked to anchor newscasts or host programs. Will participate in station membership campaigns and community-building events.
A successful candidate adheres to deadlines and, in concert with appropriate staff, makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention. The News Reporter works in close concert with other staff and under the supervision of the News Director.
One year of relevant experience (including related coursework and internships)
Success in field reporting + production of spot news. Basic experience with audio production software and newscasting.
A strong interest in news, the desire to learn, and a creative mind. Possesses excellent interviewing and writing skills for public radio broadcast reports. Ideally would have familiarity with public radio news programming. Possesses broad knowledge of local and regional issues in New Mexico — and/or depth of knowledge in a beat specialty. Demonstrates ability to work within a live, fast-paced broadcast environment. Displays knowledge and adherence to high journalistic ethical standards. Possesses effective communication and interpersonal skills. Skills required also include online research, word processing, digital editing, and operation of light office equipment. Must have excellent memory for details, be able to meet daily deadlines under pressure and deal with simultaneous tasks.
Depending on experience, pay range: $35,568 - $37,500
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).
To apply, send resume, cover letter and three examples of your journalistic work to:
Underwriting Sales Representative
Purpose/General Description of Position
The Underwriting Sales Representative solicits corporate underwriting support for KSFR, including prospecting, research, presentation to clients, and maintenance of accounts. Qualified applicants should have two to three years of professional experience and demonstrated success in appropriate areas of fundraising, marketing and/or sales or equivalent experience and education. Critical skills are sales or fundraising, organizational ability, writing and familiarity with standard office computing. Desired skills include: familiarity with non-profits, especially public broadcasting; experience with the Santa Fe and surrounding area business and arts communities; strong interpersonal skills; enthusiasm; sense of humor; ability to achieve goals.
Requirements for the position
· Demonstrated success in sales and/or fundraising
· Familiarity with public radio and/or non-profits desirable
· Good communication skills, including writing and public speaking
· Good people skills
· Prepared to be a good representative of the station in the community
· Strong sense of ethical standards and the value of public service media
· Familiarity with basic office software such as Word, Excel, databases and contact management
· Research, cultivate and solicit support (underwriting) for KSFR from corporations and businesses in the Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Taos, Albuquerque area.
· Maintain existing accounts and solicit new ones
· Report to, and coordinate accounts with, the underwriting department supervisor
· Assist with soliciting challenges and other forms of support for on-air fund drives
· Be familiar with the interests, demographics, buying habits and other relevant information about the public radio audience
· Be dedicated to achieving financial goals for the station
· Work well within a team environment
· Work within station policy as articulated by station management to further policies of the Board of the New Mexico Radio Foundation dba/KSFR Radio
· Perform other related duties as assigned
Submit resume, letter of application and names and contact information of three references to:
Tazbah McCullah, General Manager
KSFR is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Position open until filled.