We're currently hiring for the following positions:
Occupational Code: Exempt
Reports To: Operations Manager
Purpose/General Description of Position:
The Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation—operator of KSFR, an independent public radio station broadcasting from Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico’s capital city—seeks to hire its first Content Director to bring high-quality local journalism and community media programming to listeners on multiple platforms. The Content Director is responsible for the vision, strategic development, and presentation of all content on KSFR’s FM broadcast and digital platforms with the goal of retaining, growing, and diversifying KSFR’s audience in Northern New Mexico. The Content Director oversees the news department, cultural and public affairs programming and is responsible for recruiting, training, and managing staff journalists and volunteer producers.
Specific Duties Include:
- Lead a team of producers and journalists in creating meaningful and informative content for digital and broadcast platforms with a focus on local concerns and issues.
- Build relationships with the diverse communities KSFR serves to inform content creation and engagement strategy.
- Develop new podcasts, programs and other initiatives with the goal of reaching new audiences and increasing individual engagement with KSFR.
- Design and implement a consistent brand identity over broadcast and digital platforms.
- Maintain a firewall between news coverage and other departments and funders.
- Collaborate with civic, arts, cultural and other media organizations to produce innovative content that aligns with KSFR’s core mission.
- Manage grant-funded projects and participate in submitting funding requests.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteer producers.
- Ensure that all content meets high standards for journalistic ethics and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- Participate in KSFR’s on-air and digital fundraising activities.
- Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervise all volunteer, part-time, and full-time producers. Supervise News Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive experience with project management and staff supervision in a media environment.
- Excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics and experience managing journalists.
- Strong knowledge of digital marketing, web analytics, and digital media.
- Previous experience in public or community media or relevant experience in a nonprofit setting.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and troubleshoot new technologies and web-based tools.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, select, train, and supervise personnel.
- Understanding of local issues of importance in Northern New Mexico.
- Experience and comfort with speaking on-air as needed.
- Multilingual skills are strongly preferred but not a prerequisite.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in journalism, media or content creation.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communications, and time management skills.
- Experience in audio production, digital media production, and/or digital publishing. Proficiency in Adobe Audition is preferred.
- Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24-7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).
Send resume, cover letter and three examples of your journalistic work to:
Position open until filled.